Friday, February 22, 2013

Practice Makes Penache...Guest Blog by Charity Mullins


“Practice makes Penache.”  This is my response whenever people ask me how I walk around in 6-inch heels all day. I didn’t start out walking in 6-inch heels. As a matter of fact, just a short 3 years ago, you wouldn’t even catch me in a pair of heels unless I was on my way to church and – even then – they were maybe 2” or 3” heels of a pretty boring nature. I had one pair of 6” heels that I still cling dearly to, but I hardly ever wore them. I was a stay-at-home mom and worked with teenagers at church, so I had really no need to dress up and wear them…or so I thought.

Ladies, our men love it when we throw them heels on, and let’s face it. If we master the art of wearing and walking in some great heels, it can make us feel pretty darn powerful…not to mention tall. I’m a whopping 5’2” tall, so adding those extra 6” is pretty empowering. It makes my gams look amazing, and when I feel amazing, I come across as electrifyingly sexy…or at least so I’ve been told.

Some women can just do this naturally and some just look like Bambi on Ice. That’s ok. Again, Practice makes Penache. Don’t throw yourself into some crazy 6-inchers if you’ve never even walked in a pair of heels before! You are BEGGING for a broken ankle. That’s not sexy!

Start with a 2” wedge or platform shoe. These have the most balance and are very fashionable. Even the tallest of my shoes (and I have tons) have platforms, some of them with 2”-3” platforms. It balances the weight on the toes, making it much more comfortable and less stressful at the end of the day.

When you are practicing, yes practicing, at home be sure you are walking heel-to-toe. A lot of us think when we get in our heels that we need to walk solely on our toes. I make this mistake a lot too. If you can master the art of toe-walking, then so be it…but it’s a lot safer to walk heel-to-toe. It’s not the same as when you’re in your favorite tennis shoes, though…no rolling your foot. It’s a smooth motion. Roll heel to toe.

Then, NO BIG STEPS. You are in LADY shoes. Walk like a LADY, not like you’re trompsing around in some kind of hiking boots about to go get your latest kill. You want to kill softly, even sneakily. Small strides and walk one foot in front of the other. Think a balance beam or a DUI test almost…but not that extreme. See why I say practice at home? This is silly to do at the grocery store…but you gotta do it so you don’t look like you’ve got hemorrhoids or something. Grace and beauty, ladies.

When you are comfortable and maybe have even developed your own little sashay, move into some nice 4”, then to a 6”. You will rock your own world…and everyone around you.

Just be careful, as well, in regards to the shoes you purchase. Expensive does not necessarily mean comfort, but neither does cheap. I’ve purchased some fantastic shoes at TJ Maxx by great designers…and Charlotte Reusse has some great finds as well. Of course, the higher end shoe designers have some quality finds as well…but always always always try before you buy. Walk the aisle. Feel out the weight ratio on your toes, the ball of your foot, if it squeezes your “tiny toe”, and if it at all slips in the back. Always buy a shoe that fits correctly. There is NOTHING SEXY about shoes that are too big OR too small. Your toes should NEVER extend past your shoe and there should NEVER be a gap in the back of the shoe. Yuck. This just says that you didn’t pay attention to the details. A beautiful shoe is not worth buying it in the wrong size…there will always be another beautiful shoe.

My favorite designer is Jessica Simpson. She hides the platform in most of the heels, the heel is skinny, and most of the shoes are 6-inchers. The designs go from basic to adorably intricate and they are usually affordable. You can also find them in discounted retailers (while still in the mid-price range).  I get quite a bit of compliments wearing her shoes. For the most ornate shoes that are comfortable and well-complimented (and my MOST FAVORITE THAT I OWN), I have a pair of Ed Hardy’s that I will probably wear until they fall apart. Ed Hardy does make some far-out-there designs, but my pair I can wear with just about anything in my closet, and I was lucky and got them on sale.  I also have a very simple Mary Jane-inspired strappy heel that I’ve had for years that I still get compliments on.

I don’t believe a girl MUST have a closet full of shoes to impress anyone or feel sexy about herself. I think a nice staple of a heel that goes with jeans, a heel that goes with a LBD, and a heel that speaks volumes about personality can go a long way. Nail these three items, and you have a great start to a fantasmic collection that is sure to photograph well and make you feel like one sexy momma.

Ciao for now!
Charity





Shoe images pulled from

No comments:

Post a Comment